Friday, March 9, 2012

Paradise in Guatemala? Yep, Semuc Champey!



Semuc Champey - this is completely unedited! unreal!
Getting to Semuc Champey requires a horrendous bus ride, but absolutely worth it. Let’s just say 14 hours of travel with the last hour being the worst was not fun. I also made it longer since I was coming from San Pedro instead of Antigua or Tikal which is much closer.
Quite the view right? This was taken from Zephyr Lodge
Most people stay in the town right outside Semuc, called Lanquin. For young, solo travelers the Zephyr Lodge is the place to be. I spent 3 nights in Lanquin at the Zephyr Lodge and had a really unforgettable time. From the lodge you get a 360 view of the valley, it really is incredible. You are quite remote which is nice and it allows you to meet some really cool people. Zephyr isn’t the cheapest for food and tours, but it’s definitely worthwhile.  My first day I went on their tour to the Kanba caves, rope swing, bridge jump, hike to a view point and playing around in the unreal blue waters of the pools. Thanks to my underwater case I captured this amazing day! My second day, was another fun adventure tubing down the river with a sack of beers. I didn’t want to hassle with my camera though so I don’t have pictures from my 2nd day here. 
Zephyr Lodge in Lanquin - Restaurant/Bar chill area 
The whole crew on Day 1 in the caves
Good times in the Caves - (From left to right: Me; Mette, Juan and Nanti; Carley and Morghan with 2 English boys; Carley, Me and Morghan; Juan working his way into the Cave)

There I go!
Jaw dropping view!
I had a little fern friend join me on this headstand ha
Playing around in the pools at Semuc Champey
Zephry Lodge in Lanquin
Sunset from the shower!
Drinks & cards with some new friends - Canadian, American, Australian and English
All in all, I had a pretty epic weekend away from the lake. Can’t wait to go back again someday!
You can find all my photographs on Picasa:
Semuc Champey

1 comment: